Dr. Katie Godfrey
Dr. Godfrey excels at building meaningful connections with her clients as they work together in a warm, non-judgmental environment where her clients can experience being deeply cared for as they work together to transform their lives.
In her over fifteen years of clinical experience, her clients have often told her that they value how genuine she is with them and appreciates how she balances challenging them to grow with supporting them.
She works with clients on a wide variety of issues, and has specialized training in several areas of expertise including helping her clients heal from trauma with EMDR and treating postpartum depression and anxiety.
Hear from Dr. Katie Godfrey
I have a gift for connecting with people who feel no one can connect with them, and helping them heal from past traumas and painful events into a new, vibrant chapter of life. I am passionate about my work with pregnant and postpartum women who are struggling with depression, anxiety, OCD, or negotiating the complex challenges of new motherhood. I have specialized expertise in Attachment-Focused EMDR and in the treatment and prevention of perinatal mood disorders. I provide ongoing consultation to therapists working with new mothers and those seeking to treat trauma survivors.
In my 15+ years of experience, my clients often tell me they value how genuine I am, how I hold them accountable, and how knowledgeable I am about research-based treatments. My style is a mix of warm, accepting understanding and no-nonsense accountability as I support you in your growth.
I am passionate about working with LGBTQ clients. My clients value having an accepting space for them to explore their identity and relationships and feel comfortable being themselves. I work with teens and adults who are exploring their gender identity and may identify as gender variant, gender queer, or transgender.
– Dr. Katie Godfrey
Dr. Katie Godfrey’s Education, Training, and Experience
- Master’s of Science degree in Human Development and Family Studies with a concentration in Marriage and Family Therapy at Colorado State University in 2005
- Ph.D. in Educational and Human Resource Studies with a concentration in Couple and Family Therapy at Colorado State University in 2010.
- Graduate Certificate in Women’s Studies
- Specialized training in Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) and Perinatal Mood Disorders.
Prior to joining The Catalyst Center, Katie worked at Crossroads Safehouse and operated a private practice in Fort Collins, CO from 2004 – 2013.
Dr. Godfrey’s Recent Presentations, Research and Publications
Katie has previously conducted and worked on several research studies. Subject areas include LGBT issues, childbirth and postpartum issues, and diversity in university websites.
- Godfrey, K. (2013). Gender variant youth. Connections Newsletter, Spring, 1-2.
- Godfrey, K., Haddock, S.A., Fisher, A., & Lund, L. (2006). Essential components of curricula for preparing therapists to work with lesbian, gay, and bisexual clients: A Delphi Study. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, 32 (4), 491-504.
- Dissertation: Decision making process for first-time mothers plannings home births (2010)
Katie has presented in a variety of areas, from University classes to parenting groups to workshops for therapists, teachers, and care providers.
Here is a sampling of her presentation topics:
- And Baby Makes Three: Couple Relationships After Baby Arrives
- Perinatal Mood Disorders including postpartum Depression, Anxiety, and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Beyond the Box: Creating Inclusive Learning Environments for Transgender Youth
- Feminist Parenting: Putting Your Values into Practice
Hear What Other People Are Saying About Dr. Katie Godfrey
Katie has a gift for connecting with all types of people and helping them to feel validated. She is completely non-judgmental and can understand just about any perspective. I have known her in many different capacities over many years and am thrilled that I get to work beside her.
~ Kendra Doukas
Katie has been an incredible addition to our team. Her talent and experience shine through in every interaction I have with her. She is passionate, knowledgeable, and approachable. She cares deeply about her clients and it shows.
~ Dr. Erin Jacklin
Katie is a deeply kind and sensitive practitioner who creates a safe bond with her clients. She is very experienced in her specialty areas and brings a high level of professionalism to her practice.
~ Dr. Joey Tadie
Katie has a caring, approachable demeanor and a quick laugh that lights up her face and warms up the room. I find it easy to say a quick hello in passing or ask for more support and will always get care, warmth, and wisdom from her.
~ Dr. Courtney Klein